Harvard-Yenching Institute Joint Scholarship Program for Ph.D. Studies
The National University of Singapore – Harvard-Yenching Institute Joint Scholarship Program (JSP) is for young faculty at HYI partner institutions in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia to complete a PhD at the National University of Singapore, with 12-18 months of dissertation research at Harvard University. Candidates’ research should focus on East and Southeast Asian Studies, either with a disciplinary or interdisciplinary approach, and with the expectation that they will enroll in NUS’s Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
The application deadline for the NUS-HYI Joint Scholarship Program is November 1.
Terms and Conditions
- Each candidate will be funded for a maximum of 4 years of full-time study. The first two and a half to three (2.5-3) years of study may be undertaken at the National University of Singapore, with the remaining one to one and a half (1-1.5) years for conducting dissertation research at Harvard University.
- At NUS, the scholarship will include tuition fees and a stipend. While at Harvard, HYI will cover economy fare roundtrip transportation to Cambridge, a monthly stipend and medical insurance for the individual scholar.
Applicants are required to have a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline or an Honors degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline. They must hold a teaching position at one of HYI’s partner institutions in Southeast Asia, with assurance that the candidate will be strongly considered for reemployment after graduation from the program.
Applicants must be nominated by their home institution. Please contact your foreign affairs or international office for more information.
- Ensure that you will be nominated by your home institution’s international or foreign affairs office.
- Apply directly to the admission office of the Graduate School of the National University of Singapore. The NUS application deadline is November 1.
- Complete a supplemental HYI application form. This form should be emailed to Ms. Pearly Ang (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 1. [Download the supplemental application here]
- Mail a hard copy of all materials (a print out of the NUS application form, supporting documents, and the HYI supplemental form) to: Ms. Pearly ANG, Manager of Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Dean’s Office, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, National University of Singapore, The Shaw Foundation Building, Block AS7, Level 6, 5 Arts Link, Singapore 117570. The package must reach NUS by November 1.
- Your university’s Foreign Affairs/International Office must submit a letter of support on official letterhead indicating that you have been nominated for the scholarship program. Applications without official approval by an authorized nominating institution will not be considered.
Questions about the program? Contact Ms. Pearly Ang at email@example.com.