Asia Pacific Scholarship Consortium
- The Asia Pacific Scholarship Consortium is an informal network of universities in Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia and the Philippines that aims to facilitate scholarships in high quality postgraduate courses for individuals from Myanmar, Cambodia and Lao PDR who require financial support to study.
- The Consortium was established in 2007.
- Successful students will study at prestigious international universities in Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia or the Philippines. Scholars will undertake masters degrees by coursework. Courses typically take one to two years to complete. Scholars must complete the course within the specified time period on a full time basis.
- Purpose: To provide opportunities and scholarships for high quality, post-graduate study in fields relevant to development of the Mekong Sub Region, for individuals who demonstrate both academic and professional excellence and potential to become leaders in the following fields:
- Community Health
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Policy and Administration
- Social Work
Applicants may choose from the list of courses below, available at the following universities. Final decisions about where successful applicants study will be made by the university and the APSC selection committee.
HONG KONG: City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, University of Hong Kong
MALAYSIA: University of Malaya
PHILIPINES: De La Salle University, Miriam College, University of the Philippines Los Banos, University of the Philippines Dilliman
THAILAND: Chiang Mai University, Chulalongkorn University, Mahidol University, Khon Kaen University, Rangist University, Ubon Ratchathani University
- Course options:
COMMUNITY HEALTH The following are descriptions of available courses in the field of community health:
Gerontology aims to develop professionals who will devote themselves to the study of aging and the provision of clinical services in order to enable older adults deal better with stressful factors common in later life. Available at Miriam College.
Health Social Science is designed for those who need the theoretical bases of and specialized skills in the social science aspects of research as well as program design, management, and evaluation as applied to community and culture-based health issues. Available at Mahidol University and De La Salle University.
Public Health exposes medical doctors to six core areas of public health: biostatistics, epidemiology, health services administration, health education, behavioral science and environmental science. Available at Mahidol University.
DEVELOPMENT The following are descriptions of available courses in the field of development:
Community Development provides advanced training in key aspects of community development, including organizing, developmental planning and organizational development. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Development Management equips students with knowledge and skills in development theories, management dimensions in development, program administration, financial planning and change. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Development Policy integrates the systematic training in the conceptual and methodological tools of public policy analysis with the lessons and insights gained in the formulation, implementation, and monitoring of development policies, programs, and projects. Available at De La Salle University.
Development Studies aims to provide advanced training in policy analysis, situational knowledge, administrative planning and management of key development issues. Available at City University of Hong Kong and Chulalongkorn University.
Human Resource Development aims to equip students with the skills and knowledge to implement and manage all aspects of personnel in organizations. Available at Miriam College.
Local Governance and Development provides individuals with theoretical knowledge and skills to work with local government. The course covers development theory and concepts, delivery systems, fiscal management, human resource management and organizational development within local government. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Rural Development Management prepares graduates with key competencies and critical knowledge of development processes as they relate to rural populations, with a special focus on poverty, agricultural issues, environment and gender. Available at Khon Kaen University and University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Sustainable Development aims to enhance students’ ability in analyzing the complexities of development processes and problems, specifically in the Mekong region. This program encourages students to search for alternative policies and promotion of sustainable development based on ecological sustainability and security of local livelihood through participation of local people. Available at Chiang Mai University.
EDUCATION The following are descriptions of available courses in the field of education:
Agricultural Education enables students to become instructors about crop production, livestock, soil and water, food and nutrition in order to help farmers increase production, conserve resources, and produce nutritious crops. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Comparative International Education and Development focuses primarily on responding to the educational needs of the poor in marginalized communities in developing countries around the world. The course is designed around three core modules that consider current issues in international educational development, education and development in the context of globalization, and comparative education research methodology. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Early Childhood Education aims to prepare teachers to provide significant learning experiences for young children. Available at De La Salle University and Miriam College.
Educational Administration provides educators with the theoretical background and research capacity to understand and analyze the practice of administration and management in education. Topics include organization theories; management theories; theories and methods of decisions; sociological perspectives of educational institutions; and educational policy-making and planning. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Educational Leadership and Management provides educators with the theoretical background and research capacity to understand and analyze the practice of administration and management in education. Available at University of Hong Kong, De La Salle University, University of the Philippines Los Banos and Miriam College.
English Language Teaching aims to provide experienced qualified English teachers and language specialists with an appropriate theory-based framework within which to understand and investigate issues involved in English language education and to develop competencies in teaching. Available at De La Salle University and University of Hong Kong.
General Education Studies is targeted to educators who may be interested in, for example, curriculum studies, educational management, theories of learning, values in education, and psychology of education. This program allows the flexibility to choose from subjects across the broad field of education. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Instructional Management is intended for teachers, administrators and other educational personnel aiming to become educational or instructional managers. Available at Miriam College.
Learning and Teaching is designed for teachers and educational practitioners who already have adequate levels of content knowledge in their subjects/courses, but would like to develop deeper and more principled understanding of the learning and teaching processes. Available at De La Salle University.
Measurement and Evaluation aims to develop practical skills necessary to manage and interpret statistical data related to education, including the use of computing for educational research. Available at Miriam College.
Science Education aims to develop the scientific and pedagogical skills of elementary and high school science teachers. Graduates of the program are expected to be able to follow the latest developments in the field and become active researchers in science education. Available at De La Salle University.
Special Education is designed to equip education professionals with requisite knowledge, competencies, values and skills to meet the unique learning needs of people with disabilities. Available at De La Salle University, Miriam College and University of Hong Kong.
Values Education and Development is designed to help professionals in the exploration of human values which contribute to the development of a fully-integrated person. Utilizing a philosophical, psychological and social framework, the program aims to develop skills in values clarification and development in the teaching-learning situation, whether in formal or community-based settings. Available at Miriam College.
ENVIRONMENT The following are descriptions of available courses in the field of environmental studies:
Agriculture is a major that prepares students for a broad variety of careers in agriculture. Topics of focus may include organic methods, crop production, livestock, and sustainable resource management. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Environmental Management provides students with a comprehensive knowledge of the principles of Environmental Science and Management, preparing them to become leaders in solving environmental problems of the 21st century. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos and Miriam College.
Environmental Studies provides students with a holistic perspective of viewing the environment, practical skills in Environmental Impact Assessment that determines the qualitative and quantitative effects of projects and programs on the various aspects of the environment, as well as broader scientific skills and perspectives. Available at Miriam College and University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Social Forestry develops knowledge and skills in forestry management and policy, forestry program development, alternative theories of natural research policy analysis and social impacts of forestry policy and programs. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
Wildlife Studies provides knowledge and skills in wildlife management, conservation and population dynamics. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
HUMANITIES & SOCIAL SCIENCES The following are descriptions of available courses in the fields of humanities and social sciences:
ASEAN Studies provides an advanced level of understanding of the political, economic, social, and cultural forces which shape ASEAN as well as the attendant policy process in a range of issue areas. It does so through a consideration of aspects of ASEAN. Available at University of Malaya. t International Studiesprepares students with necessary knowledge and skills to analyze key issues and processes in international relations, peace and conflict, diplomacy and globalization. Available at Miriam College, Rangsit University and University of Hong Kong.
Mekong Studies is intended to encourage and support academic training and research regarding political and socio- economic aspects as well as trans-border issues emerging in the contemporary Greater Mekong Sub-region. Available at Ubon Ratchathani University. Applicants for Mekong Studies must be proficient in Thai language.
Migration Studies is an interdisciplinary graduate program focusing on the study and research of the root causes, consequences, socio -economic, political and cultural issues arising from the migration phenomenon. Emphasis will be given to gender dimensions of migration and their social impact on women, families, and communities. Available at Miriam College.
Political Science aims to equip students with the analytical tools that will enable them to teach political science at the secondary and tertiary levels, conduct research and understand political theory. Available at De La Salle University.
MEDIA The following are descriptions of available courses in the field of media:
Development Communication focuses on utilizing media as a tool of development. Students can specialize in community broadcasting, development journalism, educational communication and general development communication. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
International Journalism Studies provides academically based studies in the field of international journalism with a particular emphasis on the pan-China area and the wider East/Southeast Asian region. Taught by both local and international senior academics and practitioners, the course examines media systems, news production and content and their interplay with international political, economic, social, and cultural forces. Available at Hong Kong Baptist University.
Journalism trains students in the core skills of journalism – reporting, writing, broadcasting, new media, media law, and media standards and ethics – from Asian and global perspectives. Available at University of Hong Kong.
POLICY & ADMINISTRATION The following are descriptions of available courses in the fields of policy and administration:
Economics studies the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos and University of the Philippines Dilliman.
International Public Affairs provides conceptual knowledge and in-depth understanding of Asian and global affairs which are needed to meet the career challenge of globalization and international changes in today’s world. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Human Resource Development aims to equip students with the skills and knowledge to implement and manage all aspects of personnel in organizations. Available at Miriam College.
Law provides students with a background in the legal sector with advanced training, understanding of theory and a solid background in the underpinnings of international law. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Public Administration aims to provide candidates with conceptual knowledge and skills needed to understand and manage the structure and operation of the public sector. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Strategic Planning & Public Policy helps students understand the concepts and analytical skills needed for public service leaders to influence how public policy is planned and choices are made. Available at University of the Philippines Los Banos.
SOCIAL WORK The following are descriptions of available courses in the field of social work:
Family Psychology is designed for professionals in counseling, teaching, training, and advocacy involving the family. The program utilizes interdisciplinary and holistic perspectives in the study of the family in its global and Philippine settings. Available at Miriam College.
Guidance & Counseling is designed to provide students with the necessary theory and skills for working with individuals, couples, and families in a variety of counseling settings. Available at De La Salle University, Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Miriam College.
Psychology involves the scientific study of mental processes and behavior. Courses in psychology are available with specializations in family psychology, clinical psychology, human development, measurement, social cultural psychology and cognitive psychology. Available at University of Hong Kong, De La Salle University and Miriam College.
Social Work prepares students for leadership in social policy advocacy and development of innovative social work practice models. Available at University of Hong Kong.
Social Work: Family-centered Practice & Family Therapy provides students with opportunities to learn updated knowledge, develop specialist skills, and turn them into reflective, competent practitioners/therapists in working with couples and families with complex problems. Available at Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Social Policy & Social Development aims to enable students to gain solid critical knowledge and skills in economic and social development, through comparative appreciation of local and global issues for formulating, analyzing and delivering social policies that lead to effective, appropriate and sustainable social well being. Available at Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- INTERNSHIPS: Successful students will be eligible to apply for an APSC Graduate Internship. Interns will be placed in organizations and institutions within the Southeast Asian region for a period of three months, so as to further develop skills acquired during formal degree study.
- AWARD STRUCTURE: The following costs will be covered under the award at a basic level:
- Academic tuition and mandatory fees for the duration of the course, including examination and thesis costs.
- A monthly stipend for room and board, and living expenses sufficient for a single student.
- There will be no support for students’ families.
- Accident and sickness insurance during the program.
- Support for educational supplies and materials.
- Transport for the student to travel one time from their home to the campus and to return at the end of the
- All costs related to securing and maintaining a student visa for the duration of study.
- Professional development fund available to cover support for academic development such as attendance of
academic conferences or subscription to journals.
- A research fund will be available on a competitive basis for students who wish to undertake thesis research in their home country.
Eligibility and Restrictions:
- Applicants must:
- hold an undergraduate degree at the time of application deadline with an excellent academic record;
- be a resident of Myanmar, Cambodia or Lao PDR;
- have experience working in at least one of the fields listed above for development in their home country;
- be proficient in English;
- be committed to returning to their home country after completion of the program to continue their work.
- Applicants must complete the application materials and submit them to APSC by December 1, 2009. The APSC Scholarship Application and the APSC Reference Forms should be filled in on your computer and sent email@example.com. Your materials will be processed more quickly if completed in this manner, but hand-written or scanned copies of these documents are acceptable only if you have difficulties completing these documents electronically.
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview and selection exam. The exam will be an ITP TOEFL test but will include an additional essay component. Based on an applicant’s interest, the shortlisted applications will be recommended for submission to a university from within APSC. This decision will be made by the selection committee.
- Applicants may be asked to complete a further application, depending on the entrance requirements of the selected university. Applicants do not need to apply to universities directly under this program. Masters courses will start between May and September 2010, depending on the prospective university.
- Support will be provided for all logistics related to travel and registration at the respective universities.
- APSC Scholarship Application
- One academic letter of reference (using the APSC Reference Form).
- One professional letter of reference (using the APSC Reference Form).
- Scanned copies of all previous educational transcripts (or an explanation as to why these are unavailable).
- Scanned copies of any official English language exams you have taken, such as TOEFL or IELTS (if available).
- A copy of undergraduate degree certificate (or explanation as to why this is not available).
- A copy of undergraduate final transcript (or explanation as to why this is not available).
- A copy of the page of your passport that includes your picture (if available).
- 1 December 2009: Application deadline. Late applications will not be accepted
- 12 January 2010: Shortlisted applicants will be notified.
- January 23 – February 6, 2010: Entrance exam and interviews held. Dates will vary depending on location.
- February 8-11, 2010: Successful applicants notified.
For the details, please visit http://www.apsconsortium.org/
Leave a Reply