Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarships
With His Majesty’s consent, the Government of Brunei Darussalam is offering annual scholarships under a special scholarship award scheme, commencing in academic session.
Tenable in Brunei Darussalam, the aim of the Scholarship awards is to provide students, with the opportunity to study at Universiti Brunei Darussalam [UBD], Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali [UNISSA] and Institut Teknologi Brunei [ITB].
- Applicants must be citizens of ASEAN, OIC, Commonwealth Member Countries and others and must be between the ages of 18 – 25 at the commencement of the academic session for which they are applying for admission. However, under exceptional case, the age limit requirement may be waived for candidates who are applying for Masters and PhD Programmes.
- The awards are NOT eligible to Brunei Permanent Residents and foreigners residing in Brunei Darussalam for more than three months.
TENURE OF SCHOLARSHIP
- The Scholarship award is normally tenable according to the duration of the specific programme which is four years for an Honours First Degree or one to two years for a Master’s Degree or three years for a Doctoral programme at UBD, UNISSA and ITB, two and a half years for HND at ITB on full-time basis.
- The Scholarship award is subject to the scholar maintaining satisfactory conduct and satisfactory progress in the scholar`s studies (this requires the scholar to maintain an active registration status by passing the prescribed semester examinations and obtaining the minimum course credit units).
ADMISSION TO UNIVERSITI BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
Applicants must satisfy the general entry requirements and specific entry requirements as set for each programme.
Applicants must also note that fulfilling the general entry requirements and specific entry requirements does not guarantee entry into UBD’s programmes as admission to all programme is competitive and limited subject to availability of space.
Entry Requirements for Ph. D. Programmes.
General Entry Requirements.
The minimum requirement for Ph.D Programmes is normally a relevant Master’s Degree or an Upper Second Class Bachelor’s Degree with Honours or its equivalent from institutions recognized by the University Senate. Applicants are also required to submit a detailed research
proposal which is normally expected to include the following topics: proposed title; rationale; aims and methodology; literature review; preliminary bibliography; provisional timetable; provisional table of contents; and an indication of any special requirements for the study. The duration of a Ph. D. programme is normally 3 to 5 years full-time.
Entry Requirements for Master Degree Programmes
General Entry Requirements.
- The minimum requirement for Master Degree Programmes is normally a relevant Bachelor’s Degree with Honours (Second Class and above) or its equivalent from institutions recognised by the University Senate unless otherwise stated.
- Applicants who do not posses a Second Class Honours Degree may be considered, provided they have relevant working experience and passes other academic or professional qualifications deemed suitable and equivalent for the purpose of admission to the programme.
- For entry to English medium masters degree programme, applicants must be able to show English Language Proficiency and those who do not have an English medium undergraduate degree qualification must have at least a credit 6 in English Language at GCE ‘O’ Level Examination or a grade ‘C’ in IGCSE English (as a Second Language) or an IELTS score of 6.0 or TOEFL minimum overall score of at least 550. Please take note that
other specific entry requirements will be provided under the separate programmes.
Specific Entry Requirements :
- To enroll in a Master of Business Administration (MBA) by Coursework, applicants must also have minimum 3 years relevant managerial working experience.
- To enroll in a Master of Public Health, First degree in medicine (MBBS or MD) or other healthcare-related fields such as first degree in Nursing, Nutrition and other Allied Health Sciences (consideration may also be given to cadidates with public health field experience and relevant professional qualifications on a case to case basis).
- Master of Teaching programme requires an IELTS score of 6.5 OR TOEFL minimum overall score of at least 600 OR completion of an English medium undergraduate degree.
- For Secondary and Vocational and Technical Education streams, the applicant’s undergraduate studies must be relevant to the choice of subject specialisation(s).
- For the Primary and Early Childhood Education streams, the applicant’s undergratuate studies must be relevant to the Primary Education curriculum.
ADMISSION TO UNIVERSITI ISLAM SULTAN SHARIF ALI
Entry requirements for Ph. D programmes
- Applicants must have obtained relevant Master’s degree from institusions recognized by the University Senate.
- Applicants who obtained the relevant First Degree with First Class Honours may be considered.
Entry Requirements for Master Degree programmes.
- Applicants must have obtained a First Degree with at least a Second Class Honour or ‘Jayyid’ in the relevant discipline; or have a First Degree in the relevant discipline and had not less than three (3) years working experience in related fields.
- Applicant applying for admission to Arabic-medium degree programmes may be required to sit and pass an Arabic Language Test.
- Applicant applying for admission to English-medium degree programmes should also obtained at least a credit 6 in English Language at IGCSE or an IELTS score of 6.0 or TOEFL minimum overall score of 550.
- The Masters programmes by Coursework and Coursework and Dissertation will only be offered if there are at least five (5) candidates registered for each of the programmes.
- Interest applicants for Master programmes by Research only are abvised to consult the Admission Office of UNISSA before making formal application.
ADMISSION TO INSTITUT TEKNOLOGI BRUNEI
Entry Requirements for First Degree programmes.
- At least Credit Passes in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects which must include Mathematics, and at least three GCE Advanced Level passes all at grade C or better or equivalent qualifications relevant to degree programme applied (obtained within the last two years),
- At least a Credit in English Language at GCE Ordinary Level examination or an average score of 6.5 and above in the British Council IELTS obtained within the last two years or TEOFL minimum overall score 550 or its equivalent.
Application forms can be obtained from the Brunei Darussalam Diplomatic Missions and representatives of Brunei Darussalam or from the following address:
Technical Assistance Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Bandar Seri Begawan BD2710
Tel/Fax No.: (6732) 381412
website : www.mfa.gov.bn
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form must be duly completed and endorsed by the relevant authorities of the applicants country. Eg. Ministry of Foreign Affaris or the relevant agency responsible for the Negara Brunei Darussalam Scholarship in your country.
Additional information with regards to the programmes offered should be referred to the institutions concerned through the following address:
- Undergraduate Programmes UBD: e-mail : email@example.com
- Postgraduate Programmes UBD: e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ubd.edu.bn
- Admission Section: Email: email@example.com
- Institut Teknologi Brunei: Email : firstname.lastname@example.org, www.itb.edu.bn
- Click here to download Scholarship Application Form
- Click here to download Brunei Darussalam Government Scholarships to Foreign Students.
- Click here to download Appendix A – List of Programmes
- Click here to download Instructions to Applicants
For more information: http://www.mfa.gov.bn/scholarship/index.htm