How to Be a Successful Candidate for Scholarship Application
Being competitive for a scholarship competition generally requires the same type of preparation asked of strong graduate school and job applicants. As a result, if you are laying a strong foundation for the career you intend to pursue, you will likely be a good candidate for scholarships in your field.
Start early! Many scholarships have application periods several months in advance of the actual award, and require extra preparation. Check out those lines below for further information on how to be a good scholarship candidate and maximize your chances of winning.
How to be a good candidate for scholarships?
- Strive for excellence in challenging classes. Go beyond getting good grades.
- Get to know people, especially professors, advisors, administrators, employers. These relationships provide opportunities for career and scholarship networking, mentoring relationships, and potential references for the future.
- Get work, internship and volunteer experience in your field or in other fields of interest to you.
- Expand your knowledge of the world, people, places and events in any way you can- by reading traveling, or participating in intercultural events, etc.
- Get involved in interesting extra-curricular activities that are meaningful to you.
- Seek out leadership positions within groups/activities that are important to you.
- Keep up on the news, and read a variety of opinions. Learn to defend your views and and admit the strengths in others’ arguments.
Thanks! This is very helpful for Cambodian student like me.