Japanese Grant Aid for Human Resource Development Scholarship (JDS)
1. Eligible Applicants
|Nationality||Citizens of Cambodia|
|Age||Between 22 and 39 as of April 1st, 2016
(Born on/after April 2nd, 1976 and born on/before April 1st, 1994)
|Posses a Bachelor Degree authorized by the Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC) or other countries|
|Other requirements or desirability of academic background
Some accepting universities have other requirements or desirability of academic background. Check “Accepting University” in P18 [Information of Each Component]
|Have a good command of both written and spoken English.
TOEFL score of 500-550 / IELTS 5.5 or equivalent is preferable (not requirement).
|Mentally and physically in good health.|
|Ineligibility||A person falls under the following items is not eligible to apply
2. Selection Procedures
1) Promotion Seminars
Promotion Seminars are scheduled to provide more detailed information on JDS Project and how to prepare application documents for prospective applicants as follows:
- August 22 (Sat)
- 09:00-11:00 (Venue: Cambodia Japan Cooperation Center [CJCC])
- September 6 (Sun)
- 09:00-11:00 (Venue: Cambodia Japan Cooperation Center [CJCC])
- August 29 (Sat)
- 09:00-11:00 (Venue: University of Battambang)
- September 5 (Sat)
- 09:00-11:00 (Venue: OC boutique hotel)
2) Application Deadline
Deadline for Application: 4:30 p.m. October 8 (Thu), 2015
Application documents will not be returned for any reason. Late submission and incomplete application documents shall NOT be accepted.
3) Tentative Schedule
|Aug. 10 – Oct. 8, 2015||Application||Closing Date: October 8 (Thu), 2015
Further details => P6 “Application Documents”
|Oct. 24 (Sat)||Academic Aptitude Test||TOEFL-ITP and Math tests*. The test results will be used as references by the universities in later selection stages|
|Nov. 25 – Mid of Dec.||1st Selection||Document Screening: Application Documents and research plan will be examined by the Japanese universities.|
|End of Dec. – Early Jan.||Health Checkup||The health checkup will be arranged at a hospital in Phnom Penh|
|End of Jan. 2016||2nd Selection||Technical Interview: Faculty members of the Japanese Universities will visit to Phnom Penh to conduct their interview exams.|
|Mid of Feb||3rd Selection||Comprehensive Interview: The Operating Committee members will conduct their interview exams. “Permission letter” will be required *1|
|End of Feb||Approval
by the OC
|Successful candidates will be approved and announced.|
|Mar – Apr, 2016||Application Procedure||JICE will support candidates’ application for each university|
|Jul – Aug, 2016||Orientations||Provided by JICA, MOEYS and JICE|
|Aug, 2016||Departure for Japan||JICE will arrange air-ticket, visa, and also support JDS Fellows after the arrival in Japan|
* Applicants for Agriculture and Rural Development (Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology) and Legal and Judicial Development (Nagoya Univ.) are exempted from the Math test
*1 Candidates will be required to submit a “Permission Letter” before undergoing the final interview. The letter form will be provided to the candidates who pass the 2nd selection. At this selection stage, those candidates are close to reaching an acceptable level once they pass the final selection. Therefore, “Permission Letter” is a kind of preliminary confirmation-letter to confirm if their workplace can release the candidates from their work duties keeping their positions in the workplaces while they study about for 2 years in Japan.
- All the selection costs will be covered by JDS Project.
- Limited transportation will be provided to candidates coming from provincial areas for the selections.
- Application Documents will not be returned (Please keep a copy of your documents)
- Application Documents with false statements or plagiarism will be immediately disqualified
- A result of each selection will be posted at JICE JDS Project Office. JICE will notify the result only to provincials by telephone.
- In principle, reasons of the selection-results will not be opened.
3. Download of Application Guideline and Application Documents
Please refer to the Application Guideline and submit a full set of application documents by the deadline.
In the JDS selections, each candidate will be evaluated on her/his academic abilities enough to pursue the master program in Japan as well as the potential of the future contribution to the country. Thus, it is highly recommended to explain that the objective of your research plan be in connection with the development issues under applying Component, and to rationalize how the study will be addressed in accordance with the career path, corresponding to the current position and responsibility in the belonging organization.
It is also recommended to study your applying university to make sure if the curriculums of the university and fields of specialization of faculty members are relevant to your research.
Remember that plagiarize from somebody’s work or websites are strongly prohibited.
Please refer to ‘Tips on Application and Selection (Reference)’ and ‘Guideline for Writing a Research Plan’ in the Application Guideline for more information.
English & Math Exam
Every qualified applicant* will be required to take English proficiency test (ITP-TOEFL) as well as math test in Phnom Penh on 24 October, 2015.
* Applicants who apply for the component of Agriculture and Rural Development (Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology) and Legal and Judicial Development (Nagoya University) are exempted from Math Test
- TOEFL consists of 3 parts with ‘Listening Comprehension (50 questions)’ for about 35 minutes, ‘Structure and Written Expression (40 questions)’ for 25 minutes, and ‘Reading Comprehension (50 questions)’ for 55 minutes
* Applicants are recommended to try the sample test in order to get used to a computer-scored answer sheet.
- Math test of around 60 minutes consists of Arithmetic operations, Solving fractions, Equations, Inequality, Matrix, Basic quadratic functions, Basic operations of exponential and logarithmic functions, Basic Integral and Differentiation, etc.
Past Math test sample can be also downloaded here.
The scores will be used as reference purpose on the 1st selection by the accepting universities. Universities may require the applicants to have good command of English skill (TOEFL score of 500 or higher) and numeracy skills. Please be well prepared for the exams.