The 2014 International Essay Contest for Young People
The Goi Peace Foundation and United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is pleased to announce the opening of the 2014 International Essay Contest for Young People.
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world. On the occasion of the final year of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014), the theme of this year’s contest is “My Role as a Citizen of Earth.”
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2014) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2014 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
Entries must be received by June 15, 2014
For more details, please visit http://www.goipeace.or.jp/